|Disability Employment Officer
|ADACAS Office, Weston Creek
|Quality & Projects Manager
|Lived Experience Trainers
|SCHADS Award level – 5.1. Full-time position
ADACAS (ACT Disability Aged and Carer Advocacy Service) is a leading advocacy service with a 30-year history in Canberra and areas across NSW. ADACAS provides individual and systemic advocacy to people with disability, older people, people with mental ill-health and their family carers. We are passionate about asserting, promoting and protecting human rights and speaking up on behalf of people who cannot speak up for themselves. Our vision is a world in which everyone can exercise their rights and responsibilities, lead lives of value and dignity and pursue their dreams. ADACAS has a strong reputation as a human rights organisation and participates in a range of opportunities, both locally and nationally to influence change on behalf of our client groups.
As a business development focused role, the Disability Employment Officer works with businesses and employer groups to support people with disability to gain employment and improve their overall wellbeing. This includes:
- Championing the cause of employing people with a disability to mainstream businesses.
- Building the confidence and ability of employers to hire, support and retain employees living with a disability.
- Supporting the creation of inclusive workplaces by breaking down attitudinal barriers about people with disability
This role is identified as requiring a person with a lived experience of disability to fill the position.
- Co-ordinate all aspects of ADACAS’ Disability Employment Project under the direction of the Quality and Projects Manager to ensure that contractual, program and performance targets are achieved.
- Develop and lead the project plan to achieve the key milestones and activities required by the funding body.
- Establish project resources.
- Assist with recruitment of Lived Experience Trainers, including on-boarding, training and ongoing support and supervision.
- Conduct targeted outreach to sectors detailed in the project’s Stakeholder Engagement Plan and build strong relationships with organisations expressing an interest in employing a person / people living with a disability.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to organise networking and education events that support the promotion or maintenance of employment of people with disability.
- Provide ongoing support to people living with a disability who are engaged in the project including providing / establishing mentorship arrangements and organising career coaching.
- Actively participate in evaluation of the program, including actively supporting opportunities for employers and participants to provide feedback.
- Support project participants experiencing discrimination, conflict or other challenges related to their employment to access services that can assist them to address / resolve these issues.
- Ensure that all work is carried out in accordance with ADACAS’s employee policies and processes
- Be accountable for monitoring progress against, and achieving, key funding KPI’s.
- Ensure all activities are recorded accurately on Salesforce and are up to date.
- Contribute to the reporting of data to their Supervisor in a timely manner.
- Provide fortnightly timesheets, which reflect actual working hours when compared with Salesforce, to your Supervisor.
Personal and professional development
- Undertake regular supervision and performance appraisals with your Supervisor.
- Actively participate in any scheduled staff team meetings, planning, budget and other meetings that require input from staff.
Key Stakeholder Relationships
- Internal – ADACAS Advocates, Marketing staff, Executive Officer.
- External – People living with disability who wish to enter, or expand their involvement in, the paid workforce, Prospective employers, Employer networks / industry bodies, Funding body contacts.
Skills and Experience
Experience and knowledge
- Deep understanding of the barriers faced by people living with a disability when seeking and maintaining employment, that has been gained through lived experience as, or a close relationship with, a person living with a disability whilst in the workforce.
- Experience in a business development/sales role.
- Experience in, or knowledge of, programs and initiatives that support employment of people living with disabilities (desirable).
- Experience in a HR and / or Disability related employment (desirable).
- Ability to develop strong, supportive relationships with people living with a disability whilst maintaining appropriate professional boundaries.
- Strong business development, networking and presentation skills.
- Ability to manage business development, marketing, and educational events detailed in the project plan.
- Capacity to influence employers to take action to employ people with a disability.
- Ability to prioritise competing demands.
- Experience in coaching, mentoring and / or supporting people to develop new skills.
- Experience using Salesforce or other similar CRM system.
- Intermediate MS Office skills (Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Business, Marketing, Disability or HR qualifications are an advantage, but not essential.
- Working with Vulnerable People (WWVP) card
- Current police check
- Current Australian Drivers License.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccinations*
- Willingness to have a flu vaccination each year*
* unless a valid medical exemption applies.
- Social Justice – We advocate for equitable access and fair and just outcomes via individual and systemic advocacy
- Integrity – We are transparent, authentic and ethical in our work and guided by human rights principles
- Pursue Excellence – We are continuously learning and working in collaboration & innovative ways to effect positive change & meaningful outcomes
- Reflective in our Practice – We consciously work to build trust, increase self-awareness, and improve our practices through respectful and constructive dialogue
ADACAS strives to provide a safe and healthy work environment for all employees, contractors and visitors. Its aim is to eliminate any hazard that could constitute personal injury or illness and it will do all that is reasonably practicable to ensure safe work practices are adopted and adhered to. Each employee is asked to take reasonable care to protect their own health and safety at work and also the health and safety of others in the workplace.
ADACAS is an EEO employer and we value diversity within our organisation.