Employment Status: Permanent – full time
ADACAS (ACT Disability Aged and Carer Advocacy Service) is a leading advocacy service with a 30-year history in Canberra and areas across NSW. ADACAS provides individual and systemic advocacy to people with disability, older people, people with mental ill-health and their family carers.
About the Role
This role is responsible for providing individual advocacy, amplifying the voice of individuals to undertake their expressed wish, and without judgement. Clients may include people with disability, people experiencing mental ill-health, older people and informal carers. ADACAS works within a human-rights framework. Advocates are required to use professional judgement and initiative in response to dealing with moderate to complex advocacy issues whilst maintaining accountability within the organisation’s framework.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support and/or represent ADACAS clients, applying a best practice approach in individual advocacy.
- Ensure that all activities are recorded accurately in the CMS.
- Escalate any issues or concerns with the Team Leader in a prompt and timely manner.
- Help identify key trends, including potential and actual systemic advocacy issues.
- Represent ADACAS at events as delegated and at designated agency network meetings.
- Work collaboratively as a member of the team and seek to improve the quality of service through an ethos of continuous improvement via reflective practice, training and education provided internally and externally.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with community partners, service providers, Government agencies and other stakeholders as required and take part in meetings with representatives.
Classification 5 of the SCHADS Award will be negotiated with the successful applicant depending on qualifications and experience.
You will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A strong commitment to work within a human-rights framework and take a restorative practice approach
- Experience working with and or advocating for people with a disability, older people, people with mental ill health, CALD community and First Nations peoples.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and apply legislation, policies and procedures, including the ability to identify issues and problem solve.
- An understanding of or experience with Government legislation, processes and services in relation to aged care, disability and mental health.
- Experience working in the community service sector or similar.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Great team player, can demonstrate initiative and be self-motivated.
- Ability to cope with complex cases and apply stress management techniques.
- High-level organisation skills and time management.
- Ability to write factual accounts of discussions / interactions with clients and other stakeholders.
- Sound knowledge and application of the MS Office suite of applications.
The successful applicant will hold, or be able to obtain, a Working with Vulnerable People (WWVP) registration, current National Criminal Record Check and have a current driver’s licence. All ADACAS employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to receive an annual influenza immunisation. You will be required to verify your COVID vaccination status prior to commencing employment.
What’s on Offer
- A rewarding opportunity that can make a difference within your local community
- Ongoing training and learning opportunities
- Have the backing of a supportive and friendly team
- Generous Salary Packaging Benefits including everyday living expenses of $15,900 tax free and Meal/Entertainment card – $2,650 tax free
ADACAS also recognises the importance of diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect.
First Nations people are encouraged to apply.
If you have any questions, please phone our Team Leader Advocacy, Sara Stanley on 6242 5060.
Submit your resume and cover letter addressing the selection criteria via email. ADACAS reserves the right to close this role early if suitable candidates are found. Please monitor your email regarding communication on the progress of your application.